Comment 27995

By A Smith (anonymous) | Posted December 27, 2008 at 07:28:26

Jason, if you're angry at anyone over corporate bailouts, why not look to the people who give out the money. Furthermore, why would you not expect corporations to try and get their fair share of the loot, since Ryan, yourself and most everyone else on this site constantly talk about doing the same thing.

If it is alright for Hamilton to take other people's money, under the notion that democracy encourages transfers of wealth from one group to another, what is different about struggling corporations doing the same thing?

However, if you truly think that governments waste tax dollars on politically based spending initiatives, why not sign up for smaller government. By capping government spending at 10% of GDP, government waste would also be limited to 10% of GDP. The other 90% of spending decisions, made by individuals, would be based on rational self interest and therefore would be far less wasteful. By removing the middleman (government) between individuals wants and their purchases, you decrease the chances of people receiving things they don't want, don't need, or otherwise feel are a waste of money.

A perfect example of this middleman effect can be seen with Christmas shopping. Apparently 40% of people in Canada will return at least one item bought as a gift, ensuring that both individuals and businesses will waste resources sorting out inefficient purchases that likely would have been better had they been gifts of cash.

Permalink | Context

Events Calendar

Recent Articles

Article Archives

Blog Archives

Site Tools

Feeds