Comment 88762

By Fred Street (anonymous) | Posted May 16, 2013 at 12:25:04

Van Wagners Beach School was constructed as a two-room school in 1905 on land purchased from the Gage family.

The school was extensively flooded by Hurricane Hazel in 1954. It closed in 1961 and was sold to City of Hamilton Parks & Rec that year but apparently remained empty.

The property was sold again in 1980 to the Hamilton Conservation Authority, then again in 1986 to the Hamilton & Region Arts Council and renovated with the intention of functioning as an arts facility, but that plan never panned out so it was sold again in 1992 to the Tsangarakis clan.

Stucco there may be, but at least it didn't go the way of the Dynes.

Permalink | Context

Events Calendar

Recent Articles

Article Archives

Blog Archives

Site Tools

Feeds