Comment 88802

By fickrl (registered) | Posted May 17, 2013 at 12:06:09

The old school house was supposed to have been torn down as part of the clearance of van Wagner's Beach/Crescent beach 1958-63 to make way for what became Confederation Park. The area was formerly a beach neighbourhood. One of the project funders was the federal government whom wanted the school house demolished as part of the funding agreement. Reg Wheeler bamboozelled them into believing the the school house had indeed been torn down - not so of course. That building has served as a Christian centre and also as a day care facility.

(Fick, R. The Zero Option - Urban Renewal and the Clearance of the van Wagner's Beach Community, Hamilton Ontario, 1958-63. Available at Special Collections, Hamilton Public Library).

Permalink | Context

Events Calendar

Recent Articles

Article Archives

Blog Archives

Site Tools

Feeds